The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a nonprofit, global research organization dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity.
We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of tropical and sub-tropical forest landscapes. We help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Our multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies and law enforcement.
CIFOR is seeking a qualified, committed and collaborative post-doctoral fellow to undertake research on gender and agribusiness expansion in tropical countries. The successful candidate will document the mediating factors that affect rural women and men in the process of agribusiness expansion, and assess how different outcomes can be realized under smallholder-inclusive investment models. The post-doctoral fellow will be a part of the CGIAR Research Consortium on Forest, Trees and Agroforestry (CRP FTA) Flagship 5 on “Global Trade and Investments”, and work closely with researchers at CRP Policy Institutions and Markets (PIM) and CRP Water Land and Ecosystems (WLE), focusing on the gender differentiated impacts of large-scale land and water acquisition.
• Carrying out a review of literature on gender and agribusiness expansion; assessing whether and how different policy responses (such as responsible investments policies, regulatory safeguards and codes of conduct – among others) take into account gender issues linked to commercial commodity investments
• Designing a detailed research protocol to conduct primary research on policy process and local level impacts; analyzing primary and secondary data
• Developing a strategy for engaging with both research and boundary partners, and informing key government and donor strategies on agribusiness expansion
• Authoring reports, working papers, briefing notes peer-reviewed journal articles addressing the knowledge gap on gender-differentiated outcomes and gender inclusive investment models
• Responding to relevant call for proposals, and providing support fundraising efforts
• Disseminating knowledge products to relevant policy actors and monitoring their impacts.
• A PhD in a gender related issues in any of the following disciplines: development studies, economics, sociology, anthropology and other relevant disciplines. A solid foundation in political economy or political ecology
• A minimum of two years, hands-on experience with gender and natural resource management, forestry, environmental management required
• Sound command of qualitative and quantitative research methods applied to developing country contexts
• Experience in developing and facilitating training, workshops and/or events (with a gender theme preferred)
• Excellent skills in synthesis and review
• Fluency in spoken and written English at a professional level. A second language preferred (such as French, Swahili, Portuguese, Bahasa Indonesia)
• Proven ability to work collaboratively in cross- cultural contexts with researchers, policymakers, donors, and civil society
• Emerging international, peer-reviewed publications record
• Experience in proposal development/writing required and fundraising preferred.
• Excellent facilitation skills
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and complete tasks with an attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills
• Values the sharing of information in a collaborative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning
• Willingness to travel as required.
• This is a Post-Doctoral Fellow position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience
• The appointment will be for a period of two years, inclusive nine-month probationary period, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources. Maximum assignment of Post-Doctoral Fellow is four years.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia or CIFOR Hub in Nairobi, Kenya.
The application deadline is 30 September 2015.
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
More information: Download