Summerschool 2011: Assignments
In groups of 2 students: Write a short paper (3000-4000 words) about land governance / large-scale land acquisitions. You can use various formats, for example:
* Comparison of case studies: compare two or more case studies. E.g. a specific type of land issue compared in two different countries; comparing governance context of two regions or countries; etc.
* Country profile: profile of a specific country’s current issues in land governance / large-scale land acquisitions
* Discussion paper: discussing a current issue in the debate on large-scale land acquisitions
* Research proposal: think of how you would research a specific theme or case of land governance, and pay attention to methodological issues and the research-policy link
* Other ideas welcome, discuss with course directors
The best papers will be published on the Landac website.
Deadline outline of ideas: Wednesday 6 July, 10.00am.
Deadline paper: Thursday 13 July, 10.00am.
Pre-summerschool preparation: think about ideas for your paper, e.g. collect information about a case in your home country or a country where you have done research. If possible, bring information to use. Read the preparatory literature to look for ideas and information.
2. Oral presentation
In groups of 2 students: Present your paper to the group during the session on Thursday 14 July. Each group has 10-15 minutes, after which you will receive feedback and comments from co-students and teachers.
Deadline: Thursday 14 July 1.30pm
Pre-summerschool preparation: bring visual materials for powerpoint presentation.
3. Poster presentation
In groups of 2 students: Make poster presentations in which present your paper in a more visually attractive way. A poster format and advice on making posters are attached below. The posters will be printed in very large (A0) format so high quality visuals are needed. Posters will be shown to fellow students of all Faculty of Geosciences Summerschools during the final common session on Friday 15 July.
Deadline: Wednesday 13 July 10.00am
Pre-summer school preparation: bring visual materials (pictures, graphs, maps etc.) of high resolution / quality!
4. Active participation in workshops and discussions
Various lecturers will use interactive learning methods, e.g. exercises and discussion sessions, in which your active participation will be highly valued.
Pre-summer school preparation: Read the preparatory literature
Useful literature for assignment (ideas for topics, visuals etc.):
Reports on short-term research projects LANDac
Also on this website: resources, links
LDPI Conference on Global Land Grabbing: many papers on different countries and topics
FAO poverty, food insecurity & environment database